Computer Network Security: Two very important aspects of owning your own company include being secure in your business and feeling peace of mind through daily operations. One way to get that peace of mind is to have a network security plan in place to protect your company, employees, customers and reputation.
Check out what to know about the importance of network security.
There were nearly 8 billion data records exposed between January and September of 2019, which was a 33 percent increase over 2018. Often times, hackers are responsible, but sometimes human error is to blame. Did you know more than half of all cyberattacks target private businesses?
What are you doing to secure your business?
What’s Network Security?
Quite simply, network security involves the practices and technologies put in place by businesses to protect their IT infrastructure, made up of programs, data, web networks, software, hardware and applications.
Effective management of these systems is essential, because it makes sure your digital assets are reliable, compliant and safe – particularly the client- and public-facing ones. Additionally, it serves to protects your reputation if data is ever inappropriately handled.
Some network security measures include:
- Cloud-based storage.
- Local device storage.
- Password-protected computer and mobile devices.
- Firewalls or other internal network controls.
- Anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware software.
Most businesses incorporate a combination of all of these for the best level of protection. This is all well and good, but the challenge for business owners arises when it comes time to maintain and update these complex IT infrastructures on their own.
Why is Network Security So Critical?
With the right network security in place, your business is free to safely and consistently deliver on the goods and services sought by customers. Such a plan will prevent:
- Data Loss: This may result in compromised consumer privacy as well as your own critical and sensitive business data.
- Fines and Legal Ramifications: You may have to pay government-mandated fines if involved in a data breach, plus be stripped of your compliance or standard certifications, regardless of whose fault the breach was.
- Interruptions in Business: Even the smallest of cyberattacks can cause disruptions to your daily operations. This can result in loss of financial information and interrupted inventory at the least and a complete digital shutdown at the worst.
- Overall Loss of Business: Digital mismanagement can damage your reputation because consumers no longer trust you, plus it directly impacts your bottom line. Lastly, it can compromise your ability to remain open once it’s all over.
From malware and phishing to Denial of Service (DoS) Attacks and session hijacking, data breaches can occur when any number of ways.
Advantages of Network Security
Network security plans can:
- Minimize catastrophic data events.
- Save you money as you protect yourself again lost business, compliance penalties, legal fees, and business fines.
- Improve operations. These become more productive, efficient and manageable if your network is streamlined and safe.
- Enhance compliance with cybersecurity rules and guidelines.
- Save you time, as the resulting breaches and clean-ups will cost you far more than the initial cost to set up network security will.
Contact Monmouth Computer Associates
Want to know how we can help you create your own network security plan? Just contact us today and we would be happy to develop a strategy for you.